Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions
1) WHAT ARE THE KEY TRENDS IN APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT AND DEPLOYMENT IN THE ENTERPRISE?
Digital transformation and resulting application modernization continue unabated in the enterprise. Key trends are:
- Kubernetes is rapidly becoming the enterprise platform of choice for container orchestration
- Application developers are increasingly using Cloud Native architectures
- Enterprises are adopting “Shift Left” processes and employing DevOps software delivery techniques with CI/CD automation
2) WHAT CHALLENGES DO THESE TRENDS CAUSE?
Enterprises embracing Cloud Native are focused on “Day 2” operations challenges such as data management, security and observability:
- The Kubernetes platform is fundamentally different from earlier compute infrastructures and needs a new approach. There is no mapping of applications to servers or VMs. Legacy data management architectures are therefore not a fit to this Cloud Native world.
- Limited support for the Kubernetes ecosystem can result in being tied to legacy products that require customer scripting efforts that are fragile and error prone.
- The inability to automatically discover and securely protect Kubernetes applications can leave data exposed and at risk. Relying solely on HA or replication capabilities can lead to data corruption or catastrophic loss.
- Current solutions rely on multiple tools and scripts resulting in a highly complex and difficult to maintain architecture, ill-suited to Cloud Native DevOps requirements.
3) WHAT IS KASTEN’S MISSION?
Cloud-native applications are being developed at a pace never seen before. With DevOps and shift-left principles such as CI/CD pipelines, application deployment in Kubernetes is faster and far more scalable. But backing up your Kubernetes applications while accommodating agile, shift-left development and distributed deployment environments remains a challenge.
Kasten's mission is tackling Day 2 data management challenges to help enterprises confidently run applications on Kubernetes.
4) WHAT IS KASTEN K10?
Kasten K10 is a Cloud Native data management platform for Day 2 operations purpose-built for Kubernetes. It provides enterprise DevOps teams with an easy to use, scalable and secure system for backup/restore, disaster recovery and application mobility for Kubernetes applications. Kasten K10 integrates with relational and NoSQL databases, all major Kubernetes distributions, and runs in any cloud to maximize freedom of choice.
With Kasten K10, backing up Kubernetes applications is effortless. Deployed within minutes and requiring minimal training, Kasten K10’s easy-to-use native graphical interface enables one-click backup and recovery. Kasten K10 closes protection gaps, accommodates Kubernetes deployment patterns, and aligns with shift-left development practices — helping teams find and prevent defects early, and accelerate software delivery.
5) HOW DOES KASTEN K10 ADDRESS ENTERPRISE CHALLENGES?
Kasten K10 provides enterprise operations teams with a Cloud Native Data Management solution that delivers a rich ecosystem of partner technology solutions, security everywhere and ease of use, solving the data management challenges teams face today.
- Built for Kubernetes: Kasten K10 is purpose-built for Kubernetes and is constructed using Cloud Native architectural principles. It follows a desired state model, providing the user declarative control.
- Rich Ecosystem: Kasten K10, with extensive support for ecosystem components across the entire application stack, supports user choice to pick the best tools or infrastructure for the job.
- Security Everywhere: Kasten K10 provides comprehensive end-to-end security via enterprise-grade encryption, IAM, RBAC, OIDC, OpenID Connect and more.
- Ease of Use: Kasten K10 is quick to deploy and easy to use via a state-of-the-art management interface or a Cloud Native API. It has the versatility to accommodate complex applications easily.
6) HOW DOES KASTEN K10 WORK?
Key characteristics of the Kasten K10 solution include:
- Application Centricity: Applications are the operational unit for Kasten K10. It automatically scans the environment, discovering all applications and associated artifacts to protect, as well as any changes to the environment. It provides built-in compliance monitoring to update the protection status of all applications.
- Policy-Driven Management: Automated policies are a key Kasten K10 differentiator, enabling users to set up custom and default policies to meet their data management needs. Policies provide automated enforcement to help meet SLAs.
- Freedom of Choice: Kasten’s ecosystem focus enables seamless support for storage and data services within and across clusters, regions and cloud, neatly abstracting infrastructure complexity.
- Observability: An Intuitive UI and feature-rich dashboard enable users to quickly understand the up-to-date protection status of applications and easily determine if any corrective action is necessary.
- Enhanced Extensibility: Minimize time for new deployments and easily select the best tools available for a task. Kasten K10 easily integrates tools of choice in operational Kubernetes environments, such as external data services, and monitoring and alerting tools.
- Comprehensive Security: Kasten K10 is designed to protect the entire data stack. It provides support for Ransomware protection, RBAC, OIDC, Token Authorization, IAM and industry-standard encryption for any Kubernetes implementation.
7) WHAT ARE THE TOP USE CASES FOR KASTEN K10?
Kasten K10 data management platform is built natively for containers and uses a unique application-centric approach to help operations teams with their data protection needs, while maintaining the simplicity and portability that IT and Operations teams need to operate cloud-native Applications.
Top Kasten K10 use cases include backup and restore, disaster recovery and application mobility.
8) WHAT ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MOST RECENT KASTEN K10 RELEASE?
Highlights of Kasten K10 V5.0 include increased security everywhere, advanced shift left support and expanded ecosystem advancements. Please see the Kasten K10 V5.0 datasheet for full details.
9) WHO ARE KASTEN’S PARTNERS?
Kasten is constantly expanding its Kasten K10 ecosystem to enable integrations with industry-leading technologies and platforms. We partner with leaders across cloud, Kubernetes distributions, storage and security to streamline and simplify the development workflow. We provide robust backup and data recovery capabilities across diverse Kubernetes development environments.
10) WHAT ARE KASTEN’S KEY VERTICAL MARKETS?
Key vertical markets include software development, IT and financial services, telecommunications, retail, manufacturing, government and healthcare.